Deputy Chief Butler
The Embassy of Japan is seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented individual for the position of Deputy Chief Butler at the Ambassador’s Residence. This individual is primarily responsible for assisting the Chief Butler in managing and supervising household staff at the Japanese Ambassador’s Residence. Please read below for a detailed listing of responsibilities.
The Embassy offers group health insurance coverage, paid vacation and sick leave. Working hours are 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (subject to change), Monday through Friday, with occasional weeknight and/or weekend events. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please note: Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder. Screening will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Successful candidates will be requested to submit their background check information.
Assist the Chief Butler of the Ambassador’s Residence in the following duties:
- Supervise other household staff (butlers, maids, kitchen helpers)
- Prepare, manage and supervise official events at the Ambassador's Residence (i.e. breakfast meetings, business lunches, official dinners and receptions)
- Update inventory of all drinks and household products, and order and purchase items as needed
- Update inventory of all crystal, silver, fine art, and other items as requested
- Research, negotiate, schedule, and supervise all catering services, flower shops, and hiring of butlers
- Manage cleaning to ensure the entire Ambassador's Residence is well organized and maintained
- Shopping for groceries when necessary
- Other duties as necessary and under the instruction of the Ambassador, Madam Ambassador and the Ambassador’s Office
Required and Preferred Qualifications:
- Proficiency in Japanese strongly preferred
- English communication ability is required
- Flexibility and resourcefulness
- Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts
How to apply:
E-mail your resume and cover letter to residence @ ws.mofa.go.jp
Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
Job Type: Full-time