Consular OfficerEmbassy of Switzerland - Washington, DC 20008
The Embassy of Switzerland in Washington, DC is seeking a qualified candidate for a 100% permanent position as Consular Officer beginning on or about August 15, 2018.
The position is primarily administrative and customer based in nature and requires excellent organizational and verbal skills. The objective of the position is to handle consular services like civil status affairs, process identity documents for the Swiss community and to manage and process visa requests. As this is a customer service position, strong verbal and written communications are required, as well as polite and courteous service skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verify civil status documents and handle civil status affairs
- Conduct processes necessary to issue Swiss identity documents
- Manage a database of Swiss citizens residing in the consular district
- Accept and process visa applications
- Respond to consular inquiries and questions from individuals in person, in writing and by phone
- Publish consular affairs information by updating the Swiss embassy website regularly
Requirements: (Please do not apply if you do not meet ALL of the following criteria)
- Swiss citizenship or citizenship of a Schengen country due to the nature of visa
- Excellent communication skills in English, including the ability to conduct business in writing, in person and on the telephone
- Very good German or French skills
- At least three years of experience in an office environment
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite
- Interpersonal skills and a courteous demeanour to solve problems
- Team work mentality and ability to work toward achieving objectives, with attention to detail and the ability to multi-task in a fast-moving environment
- Employment authorization for the USA
- Inviting work atmosphere, interesting work in a foreign representation
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Pension plan, 4 weeks of vacation
- American and some Swiss holidays
- Location in NW Washington DC
Please send your resume, a letter of interest relevant to the specifics of this announcement and salary expectations no later than July 13, 2018 in electronic format (PDF file). Please write into the subject line, "Consular Officer" to ensure timely processing of your application.
No phone calls please; only those who are chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- German or French